Monday, June 7, 2010

Our Tutor Brother Mateus


This is Brother Mateus our tutor.  He gives us one hour lessons 2 or 3 time a week on Skype.  The picture at the right is a captured frame from our lesson.  One hour for Jim and one hour for Verae.  I am not allowed to listen in on Verae's lessons because Mateus says that the husbands are too critical of the pronunciation.  Verae is now able to say a prayer in Portuguese and is learning to bare her testimony.  Mateus is from Fortaleza in the North of Brazil and is studying at BYU.  He is so kind and patient with us.  I think he is a bit of a soccer fan.  They call it futebol and our football is called futebol americana.
I am learning things like trying to arrange transportation, speaking with members, and some temple tasks like the recomend desk and guiding those who are at the temple for the first time.   Our lessons are mostly in Portuguese.  After I try to say something.  Mateus will give me the correct phrases and pronunciation.  I believe he has been here in America just a little under 2 years. He is teaching a couple of other couples besides us and one of the couples has left for Brazil now.

No comments:

Post a Comment